Page 4 of 7
About Grace Bible Church
Our History 1956-1960
The Church was begun by Pastor Jesse Anderson, who was sent here by the conference around 1956. The Genesee Independant Baptist Church had been started earlier and was pastored by George Merton. Gail and Mertys Fischer and their two young sons, Bob and Duane, came from the Genesee church to help.
Jesse Anderson was one of seven children of a New Jersey truck farmer. His parents both died after the oldest child had just married, and the newlyweds took in the six orphans to raise. When Jesse was about 21 years old, he attended a retreat in Cape May, N.J., where he nad his wife-to-be both dedicated their lives to Christ. he worked in downtown Philadelphia at Penn Life Insurance Co. When WWII started he worked in the shipyards, took night classes at Temple University and pastored a small Bible Presbyterian church. It took him 19 years to get his degree from Temple. Then he took classes at Philadelphia College of the Bible.
He pastored the Haddonville church (conference) for seven years where by a series of events he got to take a (free) tour of the Holy Land.
He worked for a year for no pay for a ministry and then came to Flint with his wife, 3 sons and his wife's 2 widowed aunts . . . and lots of debts.